WELCOME! I'm very happy you've found your way to my blog where I post some of the interesting things I've found in my travels and that I'm offering for sale. I hope you find something you'd love to live with - something that inspires you or makes you smile.
"Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful or believe to be beautiful." - William Morris


Sunday, September 12, 2010

Tonga Tapa Bark Cloth








Bark cloth, or tapa, has been produced throughout the islands of the South Pacific--in both Polynesia and Melanesia.  The people of Tonga, Tahiti, Fiji, Samoa and other islands have made bark cloth in distinctive styles for both functional and ceremonial purposes. The cloth has played important roles in weddings, funerals and events associated with royalty.  The decoration features geometricized plants and fish, but also may include coats of arms. Special designs have been sometimes made to commemorate important events. 
Measures approx. 4' x 10'
SOLD

No comments:

Post a Comment